DDoS protection

12

DDoS protection

kartik.netec
Hi,

My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?

And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?

PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.

Please advise.

Thanks,
KT

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

tdjackey
Maybe you can try safedog which can protect  you from ddos
~
On Jun 16, 2014, at 4:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?
>
> And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?
>
> PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> KT

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Kopacsi, Christian
Radware is a pretty big player in the appliance and in the cloud solution for DDoS.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 16, 2014, at 7:50 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?
>
> And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?
>
> PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> KT

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Notice: This e-mail message and any attachments are solely for the confidential use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not distribute or act in reliance on this message. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this message and any attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this situation is appreciated. Chemical Financial Corporation and affiliated companies.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

RE: DDoS protection

Jácint TÓTH

The answer to the first question is "it depends". At bandwidths that Your ISP can easily handle, the answer is probably no, their equipment is better placed and probably of a higher grade, so it is better to handle the DDoS protection there, and just put some "of sound mind" sort of things on Your end to handle small-scale stuff that may no even trigger detection thresholds at the ISP.

Now on the other hand, if you are in a large hosted environment like a server hotel hooked up directly to an Internet Exchange, or are handling huge amounts of traffic in a datacenter, maybe even function as a traffic concentrator for a larger MAN/WAN/GAN, then it does make sense to have an own solution for the purpose of DDoS protection and maybe firewalling integrated with it. At 10G and higher traffic links and/or several 100s of thousands of RPS on NORMAL traffic, You would probably want to know exactly what You are working with, what's happening to it, and eliminate the delays with having an external entity manage the service.

Cost-wise, You have to measure cost vs. potential risk and loss of income if You don't have these, and this calculation will almost always happen to bring You into the 6-digit range in a year at least (USD), as there are significant costs associated with procuring/implementing/operating/supporting such devices. So if you are far beneath that range budget-wise or traffic-wise, don't bother, go with the managed service of the ISP.

As for the second question, at first thought there is A10 Networks who have several appliances up to N*40Gb bandwidth for both dedicated DDoS protection and integrated into an application firewall/load balancer, and Cisco's Guard XT series is also an option if You are playing in this league. Ctrix's Netscalers are balancers /ALGs that can help You with DDoS-protection for certain protocols, but these are not really dedicated security devices.

If you just want to go for "something", or build something small-scale, then You coul do some testing with say Aache mod_security on an OpenBSD or FreeBSD with pf, these are working fine on a small scale and are cheap to build and maintain, but You'll probably end up managing them Yourself and bear in mind, community support is nothing compared to what a large vendor will provide.

Cheers,
--
Jacint

RE: DDoS protection

Sable, Amol
Hi Kartik,

Greetings!

DDS vs IPS (for DoS protection aspect only)

The following capabilities are essential as part of any DoS Defense solution. I'm trying to add my comments for IPS in the same area.

1. Detect and mitigate rate-based and protocol attacks
        --> Hard to comment on ability of IPS boxes here. I feel, DDS are more focused on the problem than IPS

2. Resistant to known evasion techniques
        --> Based on my observation, IPS vendors are continually improving on detecting attacks combining evasion techniques

3. Be highly resilient and stable  and provide legitimate access to protected resources while under DDoS attack
        -->IPS boxes undergo rigorous stress testing these days

4. Ability to operate at layer 3
        --> An IPS monitors traffic at Layer 3 and Layer 4 to ensure that their headers, states, and so on are those specified in the protocol suite. However, the IPS sensor analyzes at Layer 2 to Layer 7 the payload of the packets for more sophisticated embedded attacks that might include malicious data. This deeper analysis lets the IPS identify, stop, and block attacks that would normally pass through a traditional firewall devices, even DDS devices

If anti DDoS solutions are really solving the purpose needs to be evaluated. May be some benchmark reports will help. Some vendors are providing such reports for both - IPS appliances as well as DDS devices. That would be a good starting point.

I'd not buy DDS unless it is an absolute necessity and there are no budget constraints.

The question is really good. Let's see what other's views are.

Regards,
Amol

Re: DDoS protection

Kelly Keeton
Well every vendor of egress technology (firewall or load balancer) offers a form of protection In some way.

I would also argue that your using "cloud protection" by using your ISP.

It's a risk evaluation vs threat possibility discussion here. What is the cost to your business in terms of effect if your offline due to a attack. What is the realistic likelihood of you getting attacked?

If your amazon for example - downtime equals immediate lost revenue and public trust of enterprise quality, that means long term revenue. People also would be more inclined to "hold random" amazon for a mass attack.

If your a provider of garage doors and  your website is contact info and a catalog only. Will it matter if your offline for a day? Who cares to attack you?

Also note that you can't prevent large scale ddos - if it's large enough no "appliance" model will save you. And a distributed model might even be taken out.

You actually will be more cost effective and technically easier to use cloud biased concepts (beyond your ISP) so if your serious it's a poor argument to scuff them off (I am assuming your a single site smaller organization)

Kelly Keeton
Sent via mobile device.

> On Jun 16, 2014, at 1:16 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?
>
> And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?
>
> PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> KT

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Dolev Farhi
same goes for F5 with their recent acquirement of Defense.Net

On 06/16/2014 03:10 PM, Kopacsi, Christian wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

look for F5's solution, they have recently acquired Defense.Net for DDoS
solutions.

On 06/16/2014 11:16 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?
>
> And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?
>
> PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> KT

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Rob Morin
I have used Prolexic in the past with very good results..

Rob Morin
Montreal, Canada

Listen to Canada's only 24 hour Lounge Music Station
http://www.theloungesound.ca

On 16/06/2014 7:31 AM, tdjackey wrote:

> Maybe you can try safedog which can protect  you from ddos
> ~
> On Jun 16, 2014, at 4:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?
>>
>> And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?
>>
>> PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> KT

>> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
>> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>>
>> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Raistlin Majere
The problem with a machine in front of your firewall is that by the time
the DDoS gets to your machine it's too late, your pipe is full and your
just taking some of the weight of off your FW and servers. Your pipe is
still full and nobody can get to your server. You need protection
upstream, so yes, your ISP or a cloud based service.

RM

On 06/16/2014 10:31 AM, Kelly Keeton wrote:

> [...]
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

PEra-3
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:10:32 +0000
"Kopacsi, Christian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Radware is a pretty big player in the appliance and in the cloud
> solution for DDoS.

Second that. I had a few projects with them, their DefensePro boxes are
quite nice against large floods and tricky low-volume attacks. Really
nice piece of technology. Never seen how (well) their cloud product
(DefensePipe) integrates with the appliance, though.

Best,
P.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

RE: DDoS protection

rajumsn
What about arbor?

Reagrds
Raju MSN

I have used Prolexic in the past with very good results..

Rob Morin
Montreal, Canada

Listen to Canada's only 24 hour Lounge Music Station
http://www.theloungesound.ca

On 16/06/2014 7:31 AM, tdjackey wrote:

> Maybe you can try safedog which can protect  you from ddos
> ~
> On Jun 16, 2014, at 4:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My question is about the DDoS protection appliances. Is it really worth spending $$$$$ buying a DDoS appliance if we already had DDoS subscription from the ISPs?
>>
>> And apart from Arbor and Fortinet, do we have any other big player in this technology?
>>
>> PS: we are not evaluating cloud based DDoS protection.
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> KT

>> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
>> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>>
>> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate

In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

ATTENTION: The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or opening it. Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known. If this message contains password-protected attachments, the files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain. Always scan attachments before opening them.

ING Vysya Bank Limited, ING Vysya House, #22, MG Road, Bangalore-560001 | Corporate Identity Number : L85110KA1930PLC000124 | Tel/Fax: 080-25005000 / 080-25005555 | www.ingvysyabank.com

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

alphaone.tw
If your ISP can clean everything for you, there will be no need to buy anti-DDOS devices and put inside your network. Unless you are going to prevent outbound DDOS from within your network.

If you are looking for anti-DDOS devices, Radware DefensePro can do good job for you according to my experience. They provide both signature and behavior based DDOS protection. And you can write your own signature when needed.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Abhishek Kumar (abhkuma7)
+1

Yes have used Prolexic in the past and appears to be a good solution.

Thanks,
Abhishek

On 16/06/2014 19:27, "Rob Morin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
>highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your
>encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
>http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f7
>27d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

Re: Re: DDoS protection

kartik.netec

Thanks for your replies.

Noted the points raised by Jacint and Kelly Keeton. I appreciate that.

May I be kind to seek an opinion/ arguments suggesting if the In-house appliances are more "intelligent" thwarting the application level DOS/ DDoS attacks as compared to ISP provided DOS protection wherein it may even fail to detect them. or if there are other benefits owning an In-house product?

As far as Cons are concerned, I feel that the appliance may add some latency which may create issues wherein a latency of milliseconds count.

Although we're small, We're an organization playing with ($,¥,€,£) exchanges and heavily regulated by the Government.

Thanks,
KT

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Jean-Marc Dupuis
 The problem with that is an ISP can only block approximately 88% of malware otherwise it starts blocking legitimate traffic.  Therefore there is additional care that needs to be taken by organizations to ensure that they are working within their acceptable risk tolerance.

> If your ISP can clean everything for you, there will be no need to buy anti-DDOS
> devices and put inside your network. Unless you are going to prevent outbound
> DDOS from within your network.
>
> If you are looking for anti-DDOS devices, Radware DefensePro can do good job for
> you according to my experience. They provide both signature and behavior based
> DDOS protection. And you can write your own signature when needed.

> ----
> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL
> certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your
> customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
> install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server.
> Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure
> efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
> certificates.
>

> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6b
> e442f727d1

> ----
>

> --
> This email was Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Re: DDoS protection

Claudiu Hulea
Arbor Networks.

Try to mitigate the risks to ISP. Arbor is standard for many ISPs.

> On 18.06.2014, at 15:33, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If your ISP can clean everything for you, there will be no need to buy anti-DDOS devices and put inside your network. Unless you are going to prevent outbound DDOS from within your network.
>
> If you are looking for anti-DDOS devices, Radware DefensePro can do good job for you according to my experience. They provide both signature and behavior based DDOS protection. And you can write your own signature when needed.

> Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
> In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.
>
> http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

RE: Re: DDoS protection

Mikhail A. Utin
As you indicated " Although we're small, We're an organization playing with ($,¥,€,£) exchanges" you are on client side rather than on server. If that is right, you do not need to bother with DDoS protection, which is against server side.
Mikhail

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential
and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication
in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the
sender immediately or by telephone at (617) 426-0600 and destroy all copies of this communication
and any attachments. For further information regarding Commonwealth Care Alliance's privacy policy,
please visit our Internet web site at http://www.commonwealthcare.org.

RE: Re: DDoS protection

Lance Lassetter
What about Suricata or Snort IDS in IPS mode?

On Jun 18, 2014 8:43 AM, "Mikhail A. Utin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you indicated " Although we're small, We're an organization playing with ($,¥,€,£) exchanges" you are on client side rather than on server. If that is right, you do not need to bother with DDoS protection, which is against server side.
> Mikhail

kellstr
Disclaimer: I work for a company which offers a DDoS Protection Service.

The advantage of a service "in the cloud" is that if an attack exceeds
your circuit bandwidth the provider will be able to drop the malicious
traffic. That cannot be done at your premise. Both Arbor and Radware
offer strong appliances that can clean up smaller attacks at your
premise and can send a signal to the provider if they support that
service. You can block traffic using IPS's but keep in mind they are
not designed for a volumetric attack and may be overwhelmed.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Lance Lassetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about Suricata or Snort IDS in IPS mode?
>
> On Jun 18, 2014 8:43 AM, "Mikhail A. Utin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> As you indicated " Although we're small, We're an organization playing with ($,¥,€,£) exchanges" you are on client side rather than on server. If that is right, you do not need to bother with DDoS protection, which is against server side.
>> Mikhail

Laws alone cannot secure freedom of expression; in order that every
man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of
tolerance in the entire population. - Albert Einstein